Boulder County Farmers Markets
Gardeners have a joke that states if a neighbor leaves a window open, they’ll shove some squash into it. Summertime squash is effortless to expand and prolific. Most Coloradans who yard grow extra than they can consume.
Summer squash (and there are way too many kinds to checklist listed here) are outlined as squash that are harvested while the rind is however tender and completely ready to eat.
Have you at any time absent on a shorter family vacation and arrived home to a foot-lengthy zucchini? Sure. We have, also.
Most effective go away it to the experts. Summer time squash of all forms are available at farmers marketplaces. Tender and tasty, and not overgrown.
So sweet, delicious and flexible, summer squash is a staple of sweet breakfast breads, stir fries and any method of gratins or facet dishes. Grill them with other greens, tomatoes or meats and they make an simple, go-to summer season meal. Halve them and things them with any combination of rice, meat, tofu or cheeses and herbs, bake right until the cheese is brown, and it is a one particular-and-carried out supper.
Our staff has a beloved recipe that stars summer squash. It is strange, but will make a good appetizer to provide with iced tea or a cocktail. We’re all collecting (safely) again, so carry out that iced tea and an appetizer! These summertime squash tots are certain to delight your company.
Summertime Squash Tots
- 1 cup grated summer months squash, these types of as zucchini or pattypan
- 1 egg, chicken or duck, whisked
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cheese (any)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or panko
- Salt and pepper to flavor
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a minimuffin tin with nonstick spray or brush with olive oil, set aside.
- Grate the squash and then area in a dish towel to squeeze out the extra h2o.
- In a bowl combine the egg, onion, cheese, breadcrumbs or panko, grated squash, and salt and pepper.
- Fill the minimuffin cups to the top. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or right up until the best is browned and established.
- Neat for 5 minutes in the tins, and then remove them to a cooling rack. Provide warm.
If you make this recipe clearly show us your shots! We’re on Instagram at @BCFM
At the marketplace this week
Beer yard begins on Wednesdays tonight! Be part of us for buying for your produce and pantry needs, enjoy a beer and hear to are living music. Examine out our curbside offerings and halt by the markets. We have neighborhood cheeses and mushrooms in many kinds. Pierogies in quite a few flavors, farm-new eggs, tamales, pasta, spinach, potatoes, kombucha, beets, carrots, neighborhood honey, granola, vegan ice product and numerous types of meats including ribs. Tomatoes, turnips and tender greens. Collard greens. Fruit plant starts, chard, flowers. Walkups are warmly welcome. No reservations expected, but you can make Wednesday night reservations at bcfm.org/boulder-wednesday/. In-particular person marketplaces are open in Longmont, Boulder and Denver each individual Saturday. No reservations required, but they can be built at bcfm.org/boulder-saturday/ for Boulder and bcfm.org/longmont-saturday/ for Longmont. Curbside out there in Boulder, Longmont, Lafayette and Denver. Shop on-line at bcfm.org.